1. Get a flu shot. It’s the #1 way to avoid the flu. It is impossible for you to catch the flu from a flu shot.
2. If you feel the flu coming on-achy, feverish-as soon as possible, take oscillococcinum. I know, it’s an impossible name. It’s a naturopathic remedy available in most drug stores. It really staves off full blown flu.
3. If you feel the flu or a cold coming on, take Emergen C. It’s 1000 mg. of vitamin C and other vitamins in a dissolvable form. Drink it in a small glass of water and repeat every hour. You’ll know you’ve had enough when you start to get a little diarrhea. Cut back on your intake.
4. If you go travel, take Air Borne at the first sign of a cold or the flu. It may help minimize the symptoms.
5. Wash your hands as soon as you return home–every time.
6. If you have kids, use paper towels in the bathroom for hands. If that’s too expensive, allocate a specific towel to each child. Damp towels are a primary way cold and flu germs are transmitted.
7. If you feel the flu coming on, immediately go home from work, drink at least 2 glasses of water and all the stuff listed above and GO TO BED. You will take at least 2 days off your illness if you take care of yourself at the beginning. You will also remove yourself from the workplace and not give it to your co-workers, for which they and your boss will be very grateful. This is the best argument for paid sick leave!
8. Above all, listen to your body and don’t be a “tough guy/gal.” You’re not impressing anyone by being stupid!